Perryville, Kentucky

           National Event

October 7 - 8 2006

NinthTexas at Perryville Tennessee 2006

October 7 - 8, 2006

The Reenactment At Perryville, Kentucky



            Like the other National events I’ve gone to, it started out in the afternoon. With a 12-14 hour drive, mostly in the dark. Road construction in Kansas City in rush-hour put a few interesting moments in the trip. Getting to the sight was not much trouble until we got some instructions by the rangers of where we were to camp. Down some strange and long roads past some union camps we turned around and got some instructions from the locals.  Saw several houses with flag poles supporting the Confederate battle flag.

            Drove right by the rangers again into the campsite they said wasn’t there. At the Confederate camp sight  we finally found where the ninth Texas was to set up. We were the first to set up. By nightfall there went the neighborhood. Big shebang city.  It had rained the night before, the grass and things were awful wet and the mud was real sloppy.    Robber’s Row, I mean the settlers were all there.  My how the prices have gone up.

We were told reveille at 5:30. Later it was changed to 5:00. After a cool night, with the world’s biggest night light (the full moon) it was so bright you could read by it, the night had a terrific choir of snorers.  But you know what, they blew reveille at 4:30 Pacific time which is 3:30 Kansas time.  With a little bit of cold breakfast, gathered us together, then it was the hurry up and wait routine. We marched around in the dark, waited around marched some more, and waited for the 7:00 battle. When we finally went to battle it was cool and foggy. You could see some of the spectators gathering. As we started up the hill in the line of battle, the fog was so thick, a Colonel ran into the Yankees. He came running back muttering something about Yankees and we kept marching forward. We ran into the Yankees about 50 feet.  What a surprise that was!  We all backed up a little bit and traded musket volleys. The gun flashes in the dark was very spectacular.  The air was so heavy with fog and black powder smoke you could hardly see anything.  When the fog started to dissipate, it dissipated in a few minutes and it was very clear. You could see everything. We maneuvered around and continued to fire at the Yankees. We received plenty of hits. Lot of our boys went down.  We got pushed back and then it was over.

(Picture courtesy of David Stepenson)

By the afternoon battle,  the ground had dried up a lot and the mud was very stiff. Like the morning battle , we lined up again and marched and waited by the cannons. The cannons let loose with a mighty roar, Cannons to your right, cannons to your left. cannons on the distant hills answered with their roar.  While our line of battle started up the first hill, our Calvary surrounded a group of Yankees. After a brief fight, one big pile of dead Yankees. What a great sight! At the crest of the first hill, we went down into the small valley. By this time the firing was getting pretty hot. After dodging rocks, holes and all sort of tangle foot brush we almost made it to the top of the hill and got pushed back. Our route didn’t last long. By this time I was getting pretty hot and tired like the rest of the boys. Crested the second hill, gave them a few volleys of fire, then other groups pushed the Yankees out of sight. After the battle was over, we were lined up in columns of four on the march back to camp. Plenty of photographs were taken and we received lots of favorable comments.

Back at camp, a private found a few empty passes and with no officers around, he filled it out himself and signed it, Captain Brian Cox. And at this point in time he was only a Sergeant.  With the provost guards not being too bright, the pass worked perfectly. That evening after supper and later into the night, sitting around the campfire with the boys, it’s amazing what education you get with the knowledge, trivia and facts that come to life. 

                After another cool night, not as cold as Friday, we still had the chorus of snorers in the moonlight.  Reveille was at 6:30 and not 4:30.  Before the 2:00 battle, most of us had the excess gear packed into the cars. We were assembled about 11:00 for the 2:00 battle. We marched around from place to place and lay around and marched to another place. Today I was in the color guard. We were given a brand new flag by the local town’s women that they had made themselves. After the cannons exchanged fire, we started up another big hill. The color guard was supposed to take many hits for the show. One color bearer would go down and the next would pick up the flag and move on. We rotated through the battle. We lost 20 or so color bearers.  It was a long hot fight going up the hill. As we walked through the corn field it was tough. The corn was high and dry.  Stopped at a tall split rail fence and exchanged more musket volleys. Crossed over the fence and proceeded forward to a second fence at the base of a hill. The fight continued long and hot which seemed like an eternity. Like other fights it was finally over.  Lined up in columns of four and marched back home. We all had a great weekend.  Spectators we talked to, greatly enjoyed it . Traffic control out of there was a little bit show but those guys knew what they were doing. Back on the road for another 13 -14 hours, then we were finally home. I am looking forward to the next National. 

P.S. I was the one with the forged pass.

                                                                                    Private Gene Hainstock

                                                                                    9th Texas Company B







Perryville links to media coverage:

The Battle Begins   There is a great shot of Color Sgt. Shawn Bell and Col. Brad Amend in here!

Stories on the Event from Kentucky Paper

Great video on this link about the Early Morning Battle!


To see full versions of these pictures, purchase the 2006 commemorative DVD/CD with all events pictures included.



To see more pictures, purchase the 2006 commemorative DVD/CD with all events pictures included.