The 2013 Season  was one to remember for the ages!


Fireside reading at Cowtown.



Sgt. Randy Downey


Pvt. Staab and Pvt. Waters before the battle opens.


New Page:  Just for Fun; comics, drawings and outtakes.

* NEW PIC's ADDED March10 2010 to outtakes page






2009 season after action reports all can be found here!





 Sgt. Shively looking exceptional in Federal Blue!  



Priv. Driscoll awaits execution at Humboldt.



Sgt. Bell installs the Ninth's ceiling tile at the Tip On Inn.



The Ninth applies the torches to the town!



Pvt. Shemwell tries to calm the civilians!



Three comrades enjoy the Humboldt event.

















































































































































The Journal of the Ninth Texas Regiment of Infantry

Retrospective of 2010

 2010 was a great year for the 9th Texas Reg’t of Infantry. We fought five (5) Maximum Battalion events, at Ash Grove MO in March; Holden MO in June; Pilot Knob MO in September; Mississippi City MS in November; and Prairie Grove AR in December.

We also fought at smaller events in Cowtown, Wichita KS in April; Black Jack KS in June; Diller NE in July; Pipestone MN in August; Lamoni IA in September;  and Brownville NE in October.

Mother Nature refused to be entirely cooperative, as in 2009, as she caused the premature termination of the Spring Muster at Ash Grove with snow and sleet, and the Holden event with a flash flood which nearly floated us all off.

Our National Event of the season was attended by five stalwarts from the 9th, and although it was a long trip down (past Memphis), the fights were good including in entrenchments dug for the reenactment of 1862‘s Fort Donelson. Of course, not to be forgotten was  Col. Sanders vexed expostulation on Sunday, “what battle is this?!”

Throughout the year, we revisited an old 9th Texas recruiting tool of setting up a booth at the gun shows. We made four of them this season, one in Wichita, two in Topeka, and one in Kansas City. To good success, I hasten to add.

Rank structure remained stable, and we can all credit our solid core of veteran non-coms who help make the 9th what it is. Thanks again:  1st Sgt. Shively, and Cpl’s Downey, Albert, and Matlack.

We also had three (3) new men join the ranks - Jim Pettus, Joshua Ralph (nephew of Jamie), and Jason Wiltshire. They acquitted themselves well as soldiers when they first “saw the elephant.”

And we saw Lt. (ret.) Carl Rader at Cowtown, and he brought along some much-needed regimental funds. Also, Major (ret.) Brian Albert also joined us at Prairie Grove and fell in as a private.

Also, a special thanks to Capt. Greg Traxson’s men of the 2nd Kansas who fell in with us at Cowtown and Prairie Grove.

And last but not least, the Battalion continued to be led by, among other capable staff, 9th alumni Col. Brad Amend; Sgt. Major Gary Sutton; and Color Sgt. Shawn Bell. I can add that our own Mr. Visser also capably fills in as Major when the need arises.

Sadly, we bid farewell to Major (ret.) Lang Perdue, the Battalion surgeon for many years, and a 9th veteran of many campaigns, who passed on to his reward, before his time,  in June.

Over the course of the season, we acquired some new regimental equipment, had some good times playing cards at the Saturday night fires, put on our funny hats for morning parade at Pilot Knob (to Col. Amend’s amusement), continued our tradition of passing out Homie for the flub or faux pas of the weekend, and got lots of pictures.

Our website at continues to impress, and we continue to have a very good presence on Facebook which provides a very interactive experience.

Room for improvement? Sure. But this year embodied again the 9th’s bonds of brotherhood, gained through shared interests, experiences, and adversities. Truly, you can’t get that from a book!

That said, now on to 2011 and the Sesquicentennial of the commencement of the War Between the States!

I remain, most humbly and respectfully,

Your obedient servant,

Brian Cox
Captain, commanding
9th Texas Reg’t of Infantry
1st MO Battalion

Veterans  of the 2010 campaign:

Capt. Brian Cox
1st Sgt. Brian Shively
1st Cpl. Randy Downey
2nd Cpl. Bob Albert
3rd Cpl. Rob Matlack


Brad Anspach

Tate Bartlett

Kyle Erickson

Mark Gianalonie

VJ Gianalonie

Jason Gibbens

Gene Hainstock

Chris Hayhurst

Rob Hayhurst

Jon Matlack

Rob Matlack

Jim Pettus

Jon Poitevin

Jamie Ralph

Joshua Ralph

Herb Shemwell

Aaron Staab

Chris Visser




              PRAIRIE GROVE, ARK.  DEC. 3-5, 2010

Men, Gen. Hindman has ordered that we assemble on the afternoon of Friday, December 3 and no later than the morning of the 4th to strike a blow at the advancing federals, and perhaps liberate fair Missouri from the Dutch hirelings and their ilk. Our past misfortune at Pea Ridge earlier in the year will be avenged. This is our last chance to strike a blow before the new year. Those of you who are on furlough or otherwise absent without leave will be permitted to re-join the army for the coming campaign. Chilly weather can be disregarded in the face of the warmth of your fellow soldiers’ camaraderie. I will advise of any needed paperwork.  A report of our past campaign in the area can be found at Our bivouac is generally off of highway 71 south out of Kansas City, somewhat less than five hours out of Topeka KS.

I remain,

Your obedient servant,

Brian Cox
Captain, commanding
9th Texas Reg’t of Infantry
1st Mo. Battalion


Pilot Knob (assault on Ft. Davidson),
September 24-26, 2010
After Action Report
Captain Brian Cox
9th Texas Reg’t of Infantry, 1st MO. Battalion

Men, you could have asked for no better reenactment this year than that recently concluded at Pilot Knob the weekend of September 24-26, 2010. The maximum battalion event was well-attended by the 9th Texas, and the Battalion, as well as by the 1st Arkansas Battalion, by sutlers and food venders, and by massive local crowds.   Reenactments both days of the disastrous assaults on the federal fort were well orchestrated and provided a good show both for the participants and the spectators of what  transpired on that fateful day in September 1864. Mother Nature did not fully cooperate, but to no harm. Read on, faithful reader and hear the story of Pilot Knob 2010. (The 9th was last here in 2007 and you can find that after action report at

A fuller account of the actual 1864 battle can be found at The long and short of this tragic battle, however, was Gen. Price’s fateful decision in September 1864 to delay his march toward the intended capture of St. Louis to take the federal Ft. Davidson which lay in the path of his Army of Missouri of some 12000 cavalry, including some 3000 unarmed soldiers and 6000 untested draftees. Uncoordinated frontal assaults on the fort by massed confederate infantry were blasted aside by the fort’s defenders of some 1500 men and seven artillery pieces. Some of the Southern attackers who actually made it to the fort were blown to pieces by crude grenades thrown over the earthen walls by the federals. Anticipating a second day’s assault, the federal garrison inside slipped out that night between confederate forces, but a small crew remained in the fort to blow the powder magazine. Gen. Price’s army sustained casualties of some 1000 men to some 250 for the Yanks.

The Missouri State Department of Natural Resources has preserved the fort, and maintains on site a very informative visitor’s center with a number of relics including uniforms and flag. There is also a small diorama of sorts which shows the topography of the area and marks the movements of the various units of the contending armies.

The area is beautiful, mostly grassy, level ground, but surrounded on three sides by small mountains, including Pilot Knob and Shepherd’s Mountain, which command the position of the fort. The preserved fort itself is largely earthen at this point with high walls, and a deep surrounding moat. The crater from the magazine explosion is still plainly visible inside. Several historical markers tell the tale.

I made the trip in in a van with Messers. Staab and Shemwell, about seven (7) hours out of Topeka as a point of reference. We made a mighty effort to hit the road early enough to arrive and get set up in the light, but were only partially successful. I think the trip would be quicker but for those curving roads south of St. Louis. The trip in was largely uneventful until we stopped at a WalMart just north of the site for supplies, and Mr. Staab bought a couple of those roasted chickens (which we reheated on the campfire after we had set up, to good use for hungry soldiers). We were all in line to pay when what appeared to be a grizzled old local came up behind us and remarked on those chickens we were buying. Well, it was not some local, but rather Rob Hayhurst, an old 9th veteran who was in the area from work to attend the event. Good to see Mr. Hayhurst in the field again, and he hasn’t missed a step!

Already on site when we arrived were new man Mr. Pettus  (sorry, Jim, you will probably have to endure that description until 2011) and Cpl. Matlack.  Mr. Matlack had his whole family out in force, wife Leilani, son (and future captain) Robbie, and daughters Emma and Katie (“bug”), all dressed out in civilian kit. Permit me to note that little Robbie was all solider, going here and there, carrying gear in, and wanting to dig the fire pit and start the fire all on his own.

Present for duty for the 9th were:

1st Sgt. Brian Shively, 1st Cpl. Randy Downey, 2nd Cpl. Bob Albert, 3rd Cpl. Rob Matlack, and Pvt’s Shemwell, Ralph, Staab (with his impressive new sword bayonet), Rob Hayhurst, and Pettus. Two (2) new men also joined the fight, Joshua Ralph, Mr. Ralph’s nephew (from New Zealand), and Jason Wlltshire, a childhood friend of Cpl. Albert. All told, we had 11 rifles and stood as our own company for the weekend. The new men, Messrs. Wiltshire and Ralph “saw the elephant” this weekend and did well for fresh fish, and I hope they had a good time and that we will see them again. This was Mr. Pettus’ third event and he continues to progress as a good solider.

Present for Battalion staff:

Col. Brad Amend, Lt. Col. Mike (“Mississippi”) Williams (good to see you out again, Mike), Major (and adjutant) Sam Looney, Major Dave Burnos, Sgt. Major Gary Sutton, and Color Sgt. Shawn Bell. Mr. Dave Jepsen, a good friend of the 9th, was also part of the color guard.

Present for the Battalion were:

Capt. Steve Montgomery’s 1st MO; Capt. Ron Ulrich’s 2nd MO; Capt. Tim Ritter’s 3rd MO. Dismounted; Capt. Chris Shuster’s 3rd MO; Capt. Daniel Keith’s 4th MO; Captain  Bill Wayne’s 5th MO; Capt. “Dime” Hollingsworth’s 9th MOSS; Capt. Richard Haviland’s Kelly’s Irish Brigade (a federal militia group aka the “Washington Blues”); and Elliott’s Scouts under brevet Capt. Bob Green. Col. Robbie Sanders’ Arkansas boys and the 11th Mississippi men (who we also saw at Pipestone and Lamoni earlier in the year) were also present. I am sure that I have missed some and please forgive me that.

We had an estimated 120 reb infantry, and 80 or so federal infantry. Plenty of artillery was present for both sides, and a smattering of cavalry although the latter was not of much consequence in the battle scenarios. Although by all accounts I heard, this was a great event, an event of this nature with this kind of community and regional support clearly cries out for greater attendance by the reenacting community.

Registration was quick and easy and finding our camp was no problem. Parking was little of a hike but you could apparently find a shortcut if you knew the spot through the tree line.  There were not so many cars in camps as in some past events this year.  We had plenty of firewood (damned if it didn’t turn out to be the kind that burned with abundant smoke), water from a water buffalo was only a short hike, and porta-potties were within 100 yards of our camp, with hand sanitzers inside (and you could have real porcelain if you wanted, up toward the sutlers, say 1/4 mile or so as the crow flies).

Sutlers’ row was truly impressive for an event of this size with Del Warren, Fall Creek, Twin River Mercantile, Mercury sutler, the Tin Man, the Civilian Companion, and many more, such that if you had the time and inclination to shop, you would be well pleased. Even an old solider could find a thing or two to buy. And, oh yes, Robert Szabo, period photographer (wet plate collodian process, and see his website at, of which more later, faithful reader. Sutler’s row was fairly close, as noted, so a complaint of being away from the center of activities would have no merit. There was also a pretty fair crowd of food venders close by as well with all kinds of State fair-type fast food - root beer, turkey legs, funnel cakes, BBQ, brats, shrimp on a stick, pork rinds, kettle corn, fried potatoes, lemon aid, and more, and the boy scouts were there with their homemade treats, and I am sure that I have missed some here. You clearly ran the risk of gaining weight at this event were you not careful.

No food was issued, but the lads brought plenty and no one went hungry.

Permit me to add that some in attendance gave a general nod toward the event’s authenticity guidelines - ragged, including some leggings, some in blue, - as urged on their website at Some might argue that there were many who were too crisp and clean to properly portray the part of Gen. Price’s 1864 army. Yes, me too.

Mother nature largely cooperated for the event with temperatures both days in the 70’s, a little cooler on Friday night, and on Sunday morning. There was no occasion to suffer from the weather. But it wouldn’t be reenacting were there no rain. Read on.

Getting in and Friday night -

We set up our company street with neighbors 3rd MO Dismounted and 5th MO. Our comrades showed up over the course of the night. The Friday night campfire was a little tame doubtless in deference to Saturday night, and temperatures turned a little cool after we had all turned in. I had been in bed for awhile when Mr. Ralph and his nephew, Mr. Joshua Ralph, arrived, and we got them set up (helping your comrades set up is a selfless thing to do). Much later, and unbeknownst to me until morning, Cpl. Albert, and new man Mr. Wiltshire arrived well into the wee early hours.

Saturday -

Mornings at Pilot Knob were misty, dewy affairs with fog on the surrounding mountains slowly receding with the sun to reveal the natural beauty of the area which every soldier understood was in stark contrast to the carnage to come.

No doubt of the reality of the morning coming could last long, however, as, tho’ we missed Sgt. Major Sutton earlier in the season, clearly he hasn’t lost a step and “welcomed” us to arise, too early, on Saturday morning.

Well, morning parade was next after breakfast, and, of course, we had to do it - the 9th has a reputation of sorts -and, by prior agreement, we all put on our (modern) funny hats and marched into line, and you could see Col. Amend almost voice a silent expletive when he realized what we were doing. (Sorry, I missed getting a shot of that.) The hats put away, we soon had 9th and later Battalion drill.

Saturday battle and afternoon -

The reenactment followed the actual battles, as best as we could, with a Battalion-wide assault after some preliminary skirmishing and artillery dueling. What was truly impressive was the Battalion  or most of it going in in one long line of battle. It was a good thing that we practiced our wheeling.

The battle started with our Arkansas boys engaging the Yank infantry who were outside the fort. Seemed like that went on for a little longer than necessary, but then we went in.

We did a “passage of lines” to get our Battalion line from a battle line behind the guns to the same position in front of the guns. The order was Battalion, right face, upon which each company immediately did a left face, following which each company went through our designated spot between the guns, and then a by company into line to form up with our brother companies on the other side.

Artillery on both sides continued to work during the infantry assault. Mr. Shemwell took an excellent hit at one point. I also noticed one young reb casualty in front of us propped himself up on one elbow to watch the action; yes, bad form - when you go down as a casualty, wounded or killed, stay true to that.

After the second assault on the fort, the 9th had approximately 70% left, but then we all went down with our trademark canister hit and that was it for us. And shortly after that was it as well for the rest of the battle as the Battalion’s assault could not carry the fort.

Following the battle, of course, there was a little time to explore. I can tell you that you would truly learn the draw this event  has turned into if you went to sutler’s row which was literally jam-packed with spectators, easily rivaling some of the bigger events in the east that I have been to. Col. Amend advised on Sunday that the organizers thought that they had 20,000 spectators attend the event. I didn’t have the same throngs of people to talk to as at Pipestone earlier in the year, but I was able to talk to the folks in smaller groups of 2 and 3, some approached us, and others I approached to stimulate conversation, and I can tell you those Missourians are polite and engaged to a man, and love their history. The numbers present to watch prove the point.

The boys in the 9th had determined to take a group Szabo photo, so, after the battle, we “coutered” up again and marched over to sutler’s row, and coaxed Bob out of his tent to do the job. It was a little problematic where to take the photo as spectators were literally crawling all over the place. Eventually, Bob found a spot in front of Ft. Davidson, and so we took two of his chairs and borrowed a third, and that was it. We did need to keep spectators out of the shot, and this primarily from along the top of the ramparts of the fort, which were a part of the walking tour of the fort. Little Robbie Matlack went up and was able to shoo spectators away until the “shoot” was over.  While Bob was setting up the shot and while he was going over to get the “wet plate,” the boys were quite the object of attention by the spectators, and numerous additional photos were taken. If my boys were not so humble, I think the attention might have gone to their heads. I picked up the finished photo on Sunday morning and it is excellent as usual, and a copy is posted on our Facebook page. Following that, we did a trademark 9th “deadline,” also in front of the federal ramparts, a perfect opportunity, and a copy of that is also on Facebook.

Later on, we had a mail call back in camp. Mr. Pettus got one letter denying his request to transfer from the infantry to the calvary. Another one which Mr. Shemwell handed me and which I read to the boys was picked up on the battlefield and appeared to have blood on the envelope. It was a letter from a Yank, addressed to “Dearest Mother.” An excerpt:

"I will not deceive you mother and tell you that the life of a soldier is with out trial and hardship. The [regiment] has seen some hard fighting since we left. You must realise this frightful conflict has forever changed us. We are not the innocent youth who marched away to the sound of the brass band or waved longingly at the pretty girls that lined the road. We have become hardened men, whose every step is haunted by the ghosts of fallen comrades. We have become harvesters of death - each soul bears the mark of Cain. I shutter[] when I contemplate the change."

The letter abruptly ended, bearing witness to the untimely death, perhaps, on the battlefield of its author. There go we all on the field of battle but for the grace of God.

On a lighter note, Major Looney brought along his “consort,” his word, which according to Wikipedia, is “a spouse or companion, often of royalty or a deity, sometimes slightly inferior in function/status.” I recall that the last time I met the estimable Ms. Looney she was a temperance gadfly at Huzzah Valley just about two years ago.

Saturday night -

Saturday night was soon to be upon us. The Yanks put on a nice officer’s soiree with cigars and wine or beer and gave us all a chance to network. Nice touch. Captain Montgomery of the 1st MO and I later shared a birthday cake with the lads back in camp, the cake nicely prepared by Steve’s daughter, “Syd.”

The Saturday night beer garden, past sutler’s row, across the road, was much anticipated but proved a bit of a bust, a least from the 9th’s standpoint. We essentially went in two waves but it was pretty much subdued from years past.

This year, I did witness the reenactment of the blowing of the fort’s powder magazine and there were still massive crowds of spectators present to witness the event. In a nice touch, the organizers had laid a large numbers of candles in the area in front of the fort to mark the casualties. At the appointed time, the match was struck - and well, you must have been there to truly appreciate the event, but I posted a picture on Facebook which can give you some idea, interested reader.

Following a new tradition, the 9th held a lively poker game at its camp, and it seems to have been the focal point (or, loudest nuisance) at our end of the Battalion camp. The game was dealer’s choice, and confed. scrip/scalps were the currency of choice, and there was some liquid refreshment. We had several big winners over the night, your faithful correspondent not among them having lost, incredibly, every hand. Perhaps even more incredibly, Mr. Ralph got beaten twice while holding four of a kind.  After I bowed out to watch/doze, I had to let M. Ralph bet with the monies I had left. I think a good time was had by all including some of our visitors. Our new man, Mr. Wiltshire outlasted our other new man, Mr. Ralph, who retired for the evening.

Saturday night turned out much warmer than Friday. Bit by bit, the men drifted off from the poker game, myself a little earlier as I was bushed. Around 1 am, I was awakened by the pitter-patter of the beginning of a little rain. It eventually turned into a downpour which lasted a little over an hour, to no apparent harm. Mother Nature was not through, faithful reader, as you will find out.

Sunday -

We were allowed to snooze another hour but awakened per usual by Sgt. Major Sutton. As the morning grew on, the mist which had crept over the mountains surrounding us on three sides gradually burned off.

There was a fairly long officer’s meeting to discuss the afternoon’s battle, and at which, in addition, the remaining events of the season as well as events in 2011 were discussed. The Collierville TN/Twin Rivers campaign is next for the Battalion, and it looks like we may have upwards of 20 men which should be one or two companies; the Arkansas boys will also be present in strength. See their website at Prairie Grove AR is in the rotation this year again in December and although sometimes a little cold, it is not to be missed.

As to 2011, the following will or may be the 1st MO Battalion “maximum” events, all in Missouri:

May 13-15    Carthage

June 18-19    Boonville

July ??        Cole Camp

Aug. 12-14    Wilson’s Creek

Sept. 16-18    Lexington MO

All of these will be Missouri State Guard impression, and I will try to get some information out about the preferred uniform, although we have done this many times before.

Not to be forgotten are the following on next year’s calendar:

Feb. ??        9th Texas regimental meeting/muster*

        Instead of a meeting, perhaps it is time to have a muster.

March 12    Period Ball, Springfield MO, hosted by             4th MO

July 21-24    First Manassas VA http://

                *9th Texas Grand Civil War tour             precedes (week long)

Captain Shuster also called attention to the Battalion website which he maintains, and it can be found at

In anticipation of a big, busy sesquicentennial in 2011, we will have a Battalion planning meeting at Prairie Grove in December. But if anyone has events you want the Battalion to consider, please send those in to me or to Major Looney and a master list of possibles will be compiled.

In a nice touch, the event organizers distributed caps as a bounty for attendance. We got a tin per man, with an additional five tins later which 1st Sgt. Shively duly distributed.

After the meeting, no battalion drill was had but the 9th went out to cement some basics and to reinforce some safety points about the battle to come (i.e. remember the “safe line” for our own artillery past which we did not want to retreat - good to keep in mind). By chance, during our drill, Col. Amend was out surveying the ground in anticipation of the battle. Well, we decided to slowly creep up on him, an old 9th man himself. We marched in his direction, and when he turned to see us, we immediately nonchalantly looked away. We did this several times until Brad came over and I invited him to offer a few words of inspiration to the boys, which Brad did wholly off the cuff.

In lieu of Church, I went over to Bob Szabo and picked up the 9th’s group photo. Nicely done, per usual. I had brought some WalMart fried pies with me, and distributed them to the men, and the extras went to some of our partners in the Battalion. Sunday morning proved much cooler, and some broke out greatcoats, and you could see your breath when you exhaled.

Prior to forming up for the battle, the 9th took a vote on awarding “Homie,” the 9th’s mascot rubber chicken, awarded at each event for the best faux paux. There were no front runners at the Knob, and so, Cpl. Downey won by default, for failing to bring Homie, which he had been previously awarded. A number of the boys also went in to sutler’s row to do a little last minute shopping and we also made our obligatory tour of the fort, and the visitor’s center. The former, including the hole left by the blast, is still quite impressive after all these years.

Sunday battle -

Col. Amend had reported at the Sunday officer’s call, and later announced to the men in forming up for the fight, that one federal thought the Battalion not aggressive enough during the Saturday battle. We endeavored to remedy this point of view! And the Colonel gave quite a stirring speech prior to marching out to give Battle.

As noted, the plan again was to go out in one long Battalion line, and make our three assaults on the Fort, which we did. I note that some of our boys attempted to emulate the “new” rebel yell which has been reported on the internet. See for example the link at This is totally different from what we have been doing for years.

The battle commenced at 1:30 and was over 2 pm, but there was plenty of hard fightin’ in that 1/2 hour. The scenario was the same as on Saturday, but this time the 9th made it further, although by the time the 3rd assault was done, we only had three men left, Mr. Hayhurst, Cpl. Matlack, who had taken the colors, and the undersigned. The Battalion had suffered in excess of 50% casualties. I remember on the second charge following Col. Amend and Sgt. Bell up to what seemed like the gates of Hell, almost to the moat, the swirling powder smoke almost obscuring the federal ramparts. I could clearly see the federal cannoneers and remember thinking, are we too close for them to fire at us (they didn’t). On that second charge, a number of our boys went into the moat and at that point the “grenades“ came out in great number, and I saw one of our boys, doubtless soon himself to meet his maker, throw one back in. Now, that was a battle!

A nice touch, prior to resurrection, was a single bagpipe player slowly marching across the field of casualties in front of the fort, playing a haunting Amazing Grace.

Getting out -

As we were resurrecting and marching back to camp, a steady light drizzle of rain began to come down. And it progressed to a more steady drizzle during the break down of camp such that, with the exception of canvas during the Saturday night rain storm, this where you could get really wet if you did not look lively. But we were back on the road by 2:50, and after a mandatory 9th Texas stop at Cracker Barrel, we were back in Topeka, as a point of reference, by 11 pm.

Epilogue -

Permit me to offer my praise for the efforts of all men in the 9th in bringing new men into the ranks. Pilot Knob is evidence of the effort as we had, in addition to Mr. Pettus, a new man himself, two (2) new men who we hope to see later in the year, or next, for the 150th. I can’t tell you how proud I am of this effort!

And now, on to Collierville!

I remain

Your obedient servant,

Brian Cox
Captain, commanding
9th Texas Reg’t of Infantry
1st MO. Battalion


                 RK GUN SHOW  TOPEKA   OCTOBER 16-17, 2010

     Men, I have secured the 9th a table at the RK Gun show on the indicated dates for recruiting. The show is at the Topeka Expocenter at 19th and Topeka Blvd. We attended several gun shows earlier in the year and had a good result for the effort. I would appreciate volunteers to help man the 9th's table for all or any part of the show that you can make.

Brian Cox
Captain, commanding
9th Texas Reg't of Infantry
1st MO. Battalion


        Men - Gen’l Price has directed that we assemble near Irontown MO on Sept. 24, and no later than the 25th, for the advance on St. Louis and its ordnance.

Scouting reports indicate a small federal garrison with at least some artillery at the so-called Ft. Davidson at Pilot Knob MO. The nefarious author of Order No. 11, Gen. Thomas Ewing, is reported to be in command of the fort, and capturing him would be a worthy prize. I am optimistic, however, that we will choose the prudent course of bypassing that obstacle to conserve our forces for the greater prize at St.  Louis.

We have encountered setbacks over the course of the last year, and I understand that many of you lack arms, and are yet untested in battle, however, our prospects remain bright should every man do his duty.

I remain

Your obedient servant,

Brian Cox
Captain, commanding
9th Texas Reg’t of Infantry
1st MO. Battalion



I can recommend the summer Pipestone MN event as a good time for reenactors, the long drive notwithstanding. The event is not a MAX Battalion, nor one that the 9th had voted to attend but the 9th has a history of many of its members making the trip over the years. I count myself as a twice veteran of the event, but Mr. Visser remarked that this was his eighth visit!

Messrs. Shemwell and Staab and your humble correspondent made the trip on behalf of the 9th. And new man Jim Pettus out of Junction City, Kansas, joined us on site as did Mr. Visser who acted as major and wing commander for the weekend. Present for staff was adjutant Sam Looney. Other units present from the Battalion where the 3rd MO/4th Ark. (good to see you, Big Phil!) under Captain Shuster, and the 4th MO under Captain Keith. There were also some boys from the 1st South Carolina, a group from the region, who fell in with us. I think that Col. Croufutt’s Muddy River Battalion were also in attendance on the federal side. More were there, sorry I haven’t named all!

Pipestone is a small burg about (seven) 7 hours out of Topeka as a point of reference, on I-29 almost all the way. The downtown area sports a particularly impressive Pipestone County Courthouse (and your humble correspondent has seen alot of courthouses!) said to be made of quartzite. A large Civil War soldier statute sits on the front lawn commemorating Civil War and Spanish American War soldiers from Pipestone County. A Sherman tank also sits on the lawn commemorating Pipestone veterans of WWII and the Korean War.

Infantry, and a smattering of artillery were present, but no cavalry. Kudos to Dave Renley for ramrodding this event.

Weather was near-perfect with temps hovering around the upper 70’s to 80’s during the day and somewhat lower at night, although Saturday night became a little cool. Mother Nature reminded us that she was still in command as she threw a brief shower our way later Saturday afternoon, but we had no more than gotten our gear under canvas than it quit to no harm. One can recall the wet 2009 campaign.

Parking was excellent in terms of accessibility, merely a stone’s throw from camp, but poor in terms of ambiance, as our row of vehicles was plainly visible to us from camp, and you could not help but notice the power lines overhead. On the down side, there were no raw rations issued, no meals provided, and (gulp) no beer garden. But we we were issued a voucher for discounts at local merchants. There was a water spigot close at hand, and plenty of wood and straw, and somewhat clean porcelain was just across the road. Overall, I give the event very good marks.

Getting in and getting set up were easier than a reenactor could hope for, and before we knew it, despite the long trip in, the 9th’s company street was set up and our fire started.  We caught up with our pards and began the usual campfire. Some stayed up a little late.

A full slate of activities was available to the interested spectator as the event’s website reflects at, There was a very good Abraham Lincoln in attendance, and under my command on Sunday morning, we endeavored to capture him but he threatened that we would have to take the First Lady as well, and pay her decoration bills, so we promptly retreated.

The event was a little spare on sutlers, but Del Warren of James Country made the trip and a friendly face behind the counter is always a good thing.

Camp life and battles --

As noted, Mr. Pettus, our newest volunteer, “saw the elephant” at Pipestone, and he acquitted himself quite well for a fresh fish. Kudos to Mr. Pettus.

As last time, I give Pipestone high marks for interested spectators who roamed our camps both Saturday and Sunday, even though we were removed somewhat from the center of attention of the event. Mr. Pettus and I joined in telling all who would listen about the life of the Civil War soldier, about what reenactors try to do, about the causes of the War, about the flags, etc. I can’t tell you how gratifying it is to have the chance to speak to the folks like that.

Due to low numbers, the 9th fell in both days with our brothers in Captain Keith’s 4th MO, Captain Keith taking command of our consolidated company on Saturday, and your humble corespondent taking over on Sunday. It was an honor and a privilege to fight with those boys.

The battles both days were good, taking place in the bowl-like arena fronted on the federal side by a rocky, and therefore protective curtain.

Of note, the Sunday battle raged for 10 minutes with Major Visser’s left wing going in alone to even things up from the Saturday battle, but they were badly handled by the Yanks being eventually pushed off the field, and then we went in, but got chopped up as well. Some of the Zouaves on our front, I noted, thinking it safe behind a split rail fence, all went down either in a canister blast or due to an extraordinarily well-played volley of musket fire. I also note that I observed Mr. Staab take a very good hit as well.

The Sunday battle was over at 2:35, meeting a premature, perhaps, end, with the blowing of a whistle which signaled a real casualty, in this case a young man who went down with the heat. He was taken off either on stretcher or golf cart for observation, but that was the effective end of the battle.

Late Saturday afternoon, we picked up Mr. Staab’s period bat and ball and had some batting practice in the ample field adjacent to our camp. Mr. Staab is adept enough to be able to point the spot out with the bat that he would hit to, and deliver on that. We had a brief scare as one lad hit the ball well past the outfielders and into the long grass so action stopped for several long minutes while we searched.

We had some poker around the 9th’s fire on Saturday night, and I think that Mr. Pettus came away the winner.

We also tried out some new equipment I have purchased for the regiment, including a large tin coffee pot which will go a long way toward filling our needs for coffee and/or hot water, and twin tin buckets for washing/rinsing dishes, the latter a much-needed addition.

On Saturday night, Mr. Pettus treated us to a dinner at a local diner.  Mr. Staab had alerted me to the presence of a good local brew so we picked up some more at a local store on the way back.

Captain Keith conducted an excellent church service on Sunday morning which was well-attended, with Jim Bearden leading the singing.

The 9th boys pulled out of the site at 3:42 pm on Sunday after the battle, and were back to Topeka at approximately 12:30, all tired but much satisfied from the experience.

Epilogue -

Permit me to note that the interested reader can find an excellent after action report on the event put together by Captain Keith at

On a sadder note, we were informed of the unexpected and untimely death of a soldier from the 1st MO, Chad Pennington, leaving a wife and several children. I also note the death of Major (ret.) Lang Perdue of the 9th Texas who passed earlier in the year. Col. Amend has previously authorized the wearing of a black band on the uniform in remembrance of Major Perdue and such can be taken in remembrance of Pvt. Pennington as well.


Brian Cox
Captain, commanding
9th Texas Reg’t of Infantry
1st MO. Battalion


Boys, we are well into August but it cannot fairly be said that the  2010 season is half over as there is still ample hard fighting left to be done including campaigns in Missouri, Arkansas, and Tennessee.

The next maximum battalion event is Pilot Knob in southeast Missouri, Sept. 24-26, 2010, and Gen. Price’s ill-fated frontal attack on Ft. Davidson. A good time was had there last by the 9th and the Battalion in 2007. Registration materials and directions, etc., can be found on their website at We are past the nominal registration deadline of August 1, but you can download a form from this website and follow the directions there indicated. There is a $10 fee which apparently makes you an MCWRA member for the event, if you have not already paid. This site also has some important uniform guidelines which we should follow.

After PK is our “national” event for the year at Collierville TN, Nov. 11-14. Their website is According to this website, the registration fee is $20 and due by Oct. 1, and there will be no walk-ons. Apparently skirmishes begin on Thursday and continue through Sunday. Per previous email, please register as Huckabee’s Division, and although the anticipated impression is rebel, be sure to bring the blue. More details are sure to follow.

And ending the year with the best that our area has to offer is Prairie Grove AR, fought on the actual battleground, Dec. 3-5.  Some information can be found at, but I will get out more details as we get closer to the event. Make plans now to protect yourself in the event of cold weather. This is a longtime event for the 9th Texas and all should make plans to attend.

Other non-Max Batt. events which you may wish to consider are the following:

Lamoni IA - Labor Day Weekend, Sept. 3-5, 2010 - Their 8th Annual Civil War Days website can be found at Of particular interest is their mini-campaign style event within an event which can be found under their link for “Campaigners Only”  - I can recommend this for the unusual experience, but note that you have to be on-site and ready to march out at 7 pm on Friday night. The site is a fairly easy drive out of Topeka, as a point of reference, somewhat short of 3 hours, on I-35 north out of Kansas City. I believe that the Battalion will be well represented at this event.

Brownville NE - Oct. 8-10, 2010. This event is just across the Kansas/Nebraska border, about two hours out of Topeka, as a point of reference, on highway 75. I will get out more information about this event as I get it. Support Mr. Visser on this one.

Topeka Civil War Days - Oct. 9, 2010, at the Museum of the National Guard, just south of Topeka. Unfortunately, this under-attended, but close by, event is the same weekend as Brownville, above. The event is one day only, regularly attended by a federal artillery crew, and it has some other attraction to it, including a pancake fee free for reenactors, and occasionally the Lecompton Reenactors. Fair recruiting opportunity. I may split my time between Brownville and Topeka.

There are many gun shows on the horizon and I will get out details as time permits. Based on our success at gun shows earlier in the year, this is the spot on which to place our bets for recuiting. Here are several:

Chisholm Trail Gun Show - Wichita, Oct. 9, 10 - some of you who cannot make either Brownville or Topeka, can support the 9th by setting up a table at this event. More details to follow.

RK Gun Show - Topeka, Oct. 16-17, and Dec. 11-12, 2010. 

Thunder on the Border - Sept. 17-19, 2010, Blue Springs MO. Some information can be found at (scroll down). See also their Facebook page at This is our own Sgt. Major Gary Sutton’s home event, and it is also co-sponsored by our brother Battalion unit, the 16th MO. This is an event close at hand which is pre-War.

As always, your getting out to me notice of your intention to attend any or all of these events is appreciated so I can keep staff advised. If you need anything, please contact me.


Brian Cox
Captain, commanding
9th Texas Reg’t of Infantry
1st Missouri Battalion


Guys, I know, in September there is Lamoni IA on Labor Day weekend, and then there is the next Maximum Battalion event  at Pilot Knob MO on Sept. 24-26 (which we should all shoot for), but if you can’t get enough of it, consider this one and it is close to home - “Thunder on the Border” at Missouri Town, 8010 E. Park Road,  Lee's Summit, Missouri (about an hour and 35 minutes out of Topeka as a point of reference). And you can support our old Sgt. Major Gary Sutton who might call this event his own. This is a pre-War event with some living history mixed in with some skirmishes/scenarios. And the site provides its own ready-made props with an entire town to play in.

Details are as follows:  obviously no confederate shells, but instead civilian/bushwacker/guerrilla outfits, with period weapons including early muskets, pistols, shotguns, knives, and flintlocks if you have them. Federals will be there as well, and we are looking to have 25 men per side. Contending camps will be set up.

Missouri town will provide hay/straw, firewood, water, portapottys, but sorry, no food rations. Probably no food vendors either. Also the Park gates need to be closed by 10:00 PM on Friday night and open up at 7:00 AM on Sat. morning - important to know for those traveling in.

For further details, contact 1st Sgt. Rick Gardner of the 16th MO, or Sgt. Major Sutton of Battalion staff.

Looks like fun! Let me know if you plan to attend.


Brian Cox
Captain, commanding
9th Texas Reg’t of Infantry
1st MO. Battalion


The 9th put in an appearance at the RK gun show at the Expo Center in Topeka the weekend of July 17, 18, 2010, and the following weekend at the Missouri Valley Arms Collectors Ass'n show near Kansas City International airport the following weekend. Pvt's Staab, Anspach, and Hainstock, and Col. Amend and Sgt. Bell, and your humble correspondent attended in behalf of the 9th and we received favorable responses from several potential new recruits. Although a solid block of time is needed for the effort, gun shows clearly appear to be at the top of the list for recruiting purposes.

I will keep the rank and file notified of any additional shows on the horizon. At present, it appears that there is the Chisholm Trail show near Wichita, the weekend of Oct. 8, 9, 2010. That is a bad weekend for us as we have other potential committments either in Brownville NE or in Topeka, but perhaps we can cover all of them.


Brian Cox
Captain, commanding
9th Texas Reg't of Infantry
1st MO. Battalion

Guys, for a rare treat to go north rather than east to reenact, here is that great opportunity for 2010, with the Pipestone MN event coming up in just several short weeks, Aug. 13-15, 2010. See their website at

They also have a Facebook page up at

You can find the 9th's after action report for the 2008 event at

Please let me know of your interest so that I can report to Battalion. This is a great little event!

Registration is free by August 2, with a $5 charge for walk-ons. They are looking for 125 reb infantry. And the trip is about 6 hours and 15 minutes out of Topeka, as a point of reference, on highway 29 almost all the way.

I will register the 9th as a unit, and I know of four including myself who will be making the trip. I will be taking a van out of Topeka sometime the afternoon of Friday, August 13, so if you want in, please let me know.


Brian Cox
Captain, commanding
9th Texas Reg't of Infantry
1st MO Battalion





High expectations for the 3rd Maximum Battalion event of the 2010 campaign were dashed by Mother Nature’s frenzied rain storm unleashed on the reb infantry camp Saturday morning and into the afternoon. I write now to tell the brief, soggy tale of the “Greater Holden Float Trip” or of the “Holden River,” eager reader.

Holden is a small burg southeast of Kansas City MO which the 9th visited most recently in 2009 (and at which we took one of the great photos of the unit courtesy of Bob Szabo). The trip is on good roads almost all the way and was a short trip for most of the lads. Mr. Staab and your humble correspondent made good time (once we got by a frustrating bottleneck around Lawrence KS).

Present for duty at the event for the 9th were the following:

1st Sgt. Brian Shively
1st Cpl. Randy Downey
Pvt. Anspach
Pvt. M. Gianelloni
Pvt. VJ Gianelloni
Pvt. J. Gibbens
Pvt. Ralph
Pvt. Shemwell
Pvt. Staab
Cpl. Jepsen from the 10th MO/color guard
and the undersigned as captain.

Present for the battalion were Capt. Williams’ 1st MO Dismounted; Capt. Ulrich’s 2nd MO; Capt. Schuster’s 3rd MO (including some of the game lads from the allied 4th Arkansas); Capt. Ritter’s 3rd MO Dismounted; Capt. Wayne’s 5th MO.; and Capt. Conner’s 16th MO.

Present for Battalion staff were Major Burnos and Sgt. Major Sutton.

We had a smattering of calvary and a cannon or two.

A disappointingly small contingent of Yanks, the Irish Brigade (?), were present, but we out-numbered them three to one. Caution - venting alert:

Why such disproportionate odds continue at our reenactments at this late date puzzles me -- this is no longer a question of “helping out the Yanks”; it is a question of making an event look realistic. I can say that the 9th Texas always stands ready to galvanize if told ahead of time that we will or may do so.

Getting in was no problem, although the parking location was, as last year, quite a hike away. And there were many, many vehicles which were not removed from the camps until Saturday morning (not from our boys tho’). The 9th’s camp was on the extreme flank of the Battalion and situated on some furrowed ground in the middle of our campsite. The 3rd Mo Dismounted was to our right and the cav. camp was on our left. Unbeknownst to us, we were also situated in the path of what would become as the “Holden River.” Read on, brave reader.

In any event, we made our camp, amid brutal humidity as the sweat was literally rolling off of me, for one. We anticipated a pleasant time to catch up with our pards, have a couple of beers, snack a little, and generally relax from the workweek. We had a dickens of a time getting our fire started as the wood provided was apparently quite wet. I went through a number of matches, several fistfuls of straw, and a number of my recruiting handbills before we finally had a serviceable fire. We eventually called the campfire quits after 12 midnight recognizing that reveille at 6 am would be on us before we knew it. I slept tolerably well, and the night went largely without incident.

And like clockwork, the booming voice of the Sgt. Major was on us, at 6 am, just as promised, and we were grudgingly up. Kudos to the City of Holden for providing raw rations of quite tasty slab bacon, sliced bread, potatoes, eggs, and onions. We were also provided plenty of ice. Firewood was a little problematic as it was mostly in quite large chunks and we had to scrounge for some of the necessary smaller stuff. There were several clean porta-potties close at hand. No other complaints on the amenities.

We made our morning reports, and fell in on the Battalion line; the 9th was matched with the 16th Mo, and we were second in the line of march, and the color company. Our first duty of the weekend was to put on a short parade in downtown Holden, maybe a mile away, although many of us tried to beg off, to no avail. We dutifully piled into a school bus provided for the purpose, and, like packed sardines, drove into town, and waited for the yanks. In the event, we formed up, marched behind a local police car for the two or three blocks of downtown Holden, then returned to camp by the same means. Of note, a period gatling gun owned by one of the locals was on display. The matter was uneventful but the heat and humidity were mounting.

As no battalion drill was in the offing, I endeavored to have some regimental drill and got that done with Sgt. Shively’s assistance. At least one suggested the danger of drilling with fixed bayonets or with guns at all given some ominous weather reports which were coming in. At a brief officer’s call shortly thereafter, we noted an ominous darkening of the heavens to the north, a shift in the wind, and a change in the temperature. The cooler temperatures were quite a relief, but no old soldier was blind to what was happening.

Shortly thereafter, the rain began, at first in drips and drabs, but then enough to drive us under canvas. In my tent, I marked the commencement of the downpour at 11:45 am. Surely, this would not last, I thought, and the boys of the 9th are experienced campers and know how to secure their tents from the elements. Well, high and dry in my tent, I studied some drill materials that I had brought along and then took off my glasses to snooze while I had the time.

I must have dozed off as the next thing I knew was private Ralph knocking on my tent pole indicating that the camp was flooding. I invited him in and felt around me and sure enough, outside the perimeter of my groundcloths, there was at least 1/2 inch of water - inside my tent. I looked outside and our company street was literally awash, and just beyond was a coursing small river of rain headed for the nearby lake. This was no simply downpour but enough to actually carry off your gear - later, some from the cav. were literally raking the waters to try to dredge up equipment which had floated off.

At this point, it became simply an exercise of getting the men’s tents and gear moved to higher ground. Some of the men were out of camp and we undertook to make the move for them. Holden was emblematic of the selflessness of the lads as well all pitched to work together to help each other out of the soggy mess we were in. That work concluded the day. Major Burnos called us all together to advise that the event had been called. He momentarily corrected that to advise that the day’s activities had been cancelled. For our boys whose gear was thoroughly soaked, however, the die had been cast and we made the vote to pull out. I saw everyone out of there and then Mr. Staab and I made our way out.

I understood that some stayed. I salute you, but do not regret our decision as we were literally flooded. A number of pictures posted on our page on Facebook tells the tale better than I can.

Pvt. Ralph writes of the experience:

A steady downpour started, and the musicality of the drops hitting the tent made me sleepy... I carefully made sure all my gear was stacked inside, near me in the center. I had rolled up the edges of my poncho and ground cloth to be sure water didn't get into my blankets, then I fell asleep, and was awakened by the feeling of wetness.. looking... See More ... See More to my left, all of my gear was bobbing and tilting in 6 inches of water! Now I feel how wet the blanket is all around me... I grabbed my gun, cartridge box, haversacks and carpet bag of clothes, sloshed my way over to Captain Cox's tent, where he was soundly sleeping, but awoke and let me take cover!

Pvt. Mark Gianelloni relates:

All my equipment soaked to the bone, but amazingly very, very little rust on my musket! Sgt. Shively should be proud of me. I must have done a heck of a deal oiling that sucker down. BTW, I would like to express my EXTREME gratitude to those who took it upon themselves to move our equipment to higher ground while V.J. and I were cowering in the relatively dry safety of Del's tent, blissfully unaware of how bad it was getting down in the camps! Y'all are true pards! There are none finer!

Cpl. Downey adds:
Finally dried out from the Holden Civil War Regatta. It was great to see my pards. Was sorry that Brad and Shawn didn't make the festivities! I have to say that It was the first time that I ever saw a cast iron dutch oven float by the front of my tent! Of course in time around the fire it will become a cast iron stove... and chin deep water! Of such events are legends made!

Although a truncated event, we award the Homie to Pvt. Anspach for forgetting to replace the nipple on his rifle before packing up for the event.

I might add that we were able to catch Col. Amend and Color Sgt. Bell who were on their way in, to advise that there was no need to finish the trip.

Well, we now turn a page, hopefully, on bad weather for the 2010 campaign, but who can predict, and the best bet is to stay prepared, and be sure to pray to the weather gods prior to every event.


Brian Cox
Captain, commanding
9th Texas Reg’t of Infantry
1st MO. Battalion



              CAMPAIGN 2010  LOOKING AHEAD

There is plenty to do to support the 9th in the upcoming months.

Our next Maximum Battalion event is Holden MO, June 11-13, an event close to home - just about an hour southeast of Kansas City - which we last visited in 2009. I will post more details here or on our Facebook page as they become available. See their website at

The week prior to Holden is a one day reenactment of the 1856 Battle of Black Jack in Douglas County. I am trying to get the 9th into the fight, but have no confirmation as yet. The lads from the 8th Kansas are rumored to be in the fight and Bob Szabo may be present for periods photographs. That alone is justification enough to attend.

Next in line is Diller NE, July 9-11, in southeast Nebraska, where we can support our Company G brothers. I anticipate getting further details from Mr. Visser and will pass those along as the opportunity presents.

After some success at the RK gun show in Wichita several weeks ago, I am convinced that gun shows are well worth the time. I have reserved (and paid for) a table at the MVACA gun show near KCI north of Kansas City on July 23-25, and several of our number have committed to help, although all are welcome.

In addition, just the week prior to MVACA, is the RK gun show in Topeka, the weekend of July 17-18. I will attempt to reserve a table there and hopefully they will “comp” us as they did for their show in Wichita. I trust that I can secure commitments from several of you to support this show, and anyone who wants or needs to stay over can stay in the guest quarters at the Cox house.

As always, communicating information about local events which the 9th might want to recruit or otherwise participate in is an important aspect of what I hope that each of you will do. Let me hear from you.


Brian Cox
Captain, commanding
9th Texas Reg’t of Infantry
1st Mo. Battalion



            "Civil War SAMPLER" COWTOWN, WICHITA, KS

The 9th Texas attended Wichita Cowtown’s “Civil War Sampler” the weekend of April 16-18, 2010. I count the event a success from the standpoint of good attendance, good battles, good camaraderie, and - drum roll, please - near perfect weather (the rain having largely passed before we got in). Cowtown is an 1870’s-style town with authentic buildings and other items and implements of the era which lends itself comfortably to Civil War reenactments and living history. See their website at

Present for duty were 1st Brian Shively, 1st Cpl. Randy Downey, 2nd Cpl. Bob Albert, and privates Anspach, Gianalonie (Mark), Gianalonie (VJ), Hainstock, Poitevin, and Ralph, and your humble correspondent as Captain. We also welcomed new recruit Tate Bartlett from near Dodge City into our ranks, and he saw the Elephant at this event. In addition, Chris Hayhurst, son of 9th veteran Rob Hayhurst, also joined us for the fight; he plans to fall in with us more in future campaigns and he will undoubtedly be the same quality soldier as his father. Rob was there as well and I invited him into the fight but he declined (more fun to watch his son in the fight, perhaps). I count as a special treat that Carl Rader, former Lieutenant of the 9th, also joined us for the Saturday fight. Battalion Color Sgt. Shawn Bell, Dave Jepson of the 10th MO. and Lt. Jim Bearden of the 1st MO. also joined us for the weekend. Wayne Turner, former 1st Sgt. of the 9th, stopped by for a chat, and Tim Johnson, also a 9th man from back in the day, who, unfortunately, has gone over to the dark (Blue) side, also stopped by for a chat.

Our brothers from the 2nd Kansas from SE Kansas under the capable leadership of Capt. Greg Traxson were also present and fell in with the 9th both days for drill and battles. Elliott’s Scouts under Capt. Sam Stanton also lent their considerable firepower to the reb cause for the weekend. Good impressions, all.

Our opposition was Capt. Jon Goering’s game lads from the 8th Kansas who fielded, say, 15 rifles for the weekend.  A nicely trained lot. McClain’s Battery, a veteran crew, also lent the power of a single cannon.

I give the event high marks. It was a convenient distance for most of the 9th, and indeed, given that the 9th is largely Kansas-based, it was a chance to do our thing in Kansas, there were ready made “props,” the staff that we dealt with were cheerful and helpful (including most notably Sheri Gaskins and Greg Hunt), parking was very close, as was water and clean porcelain. Firewood was never an issue. And Del Warren set up a tent for all of our shopping needs (of note, some new overshirts were bought). On the other hand, my complaints are few. No raw rations were issued nor were we offered a breakfast or Saturday night meal. And, the event staff refused to open the parking lot gates until 4:30 pm on Sunday, about an hour and 1/2 after the event was over and while we were waiting to go home. And, rather than a stand up fight, we essentially did Missouri irregulars resisting regular federal infantry enforcing an Order No. 11 (a scenario which maybe didn’t happen at all, but that has never stopped us). Small gripes on balance.

Friday night, per usual, the guys made their way in and we set up our camp, and made our fire. Winds apparently did not make it above 15 mph which was said to be the point at which a fire ban would be put into effect, and as such, we had a good fire all weekend long. Mr. Bearden joined Mr. Ralph and your humble correspondent for dinner out on the town, and we ended up at a microbrewery in  Wichita’s Oldtown. The night was fairly uneventful, and there was no mischief, except our by now usual game of cards at the 9th’s fire, at which I took a considerable beating.

Morning dawned after my usually restless night of sleep.  The men were nosily preparing breakfast outside my tent, so I decided it was time to get up. We had our breakfast and then drilled a little with the lads from the 2nd Kansas. Later, I gave a short speech to stir up some emotions for the event. A copy of the text of Order No. 11 is included at the end of this AAR.

I give kudos to the event Staff for arranging some other activities during the days, including a very capable Robert E. Lee impression by Norman Joy from Hutchinson. I caught his act and think that he did a wonderful job giving the audience a taste of what was running through Lee’s mind on the fateful night of July 2, 1863. He then stood for questions in first person. I could not resist asking him, with great respect, whatever possessed him to send those men over a mile of open ground against the center of the federal line held by determined foes who had been there for two days, and some under cover of a stone wall. He did a very good job of answering that question. Gen. Grant was also in attendance but I did not catch his act. I am left wondering why we didn’t have our own Tom Leahy make an appearance as Abraham Lincoln as he did at Cowtown 2009.

The 1st Missouri Battalion Color Sgt. Shawn Bell turned in a good performance as “Dr. Cravinsky,” an expert on the sartorial side of the Civil War reenactor with special emphasis on cravats - hence the name. Mr. Bell was ably assisted by Mr. Jepsen of the 10th Mo., no slouch in the fashion department.

Doug McGovern of Vintage Visuals also snapped a number of photos which can be found on his website, and one excellent group shot is posted here and on our Facebook page.

The afternoon battle was scripted that morning by a quick consult with Capt. Goering of the 8th Kansas, and consideration was given, I assume, to what the organizers wanted. Prior to the battle, I called out Mr. Downey and 1st Sgt. Shively for a few words to the assembled men on firearm safety, a particular concern given that none of us would be formed in typical two rank formation, we had some new men, and we had many pistols.

As noted, the scenario was Order No. 11 of which, faithful reader, I am sure that you are by now well advised. The Yanks advanced from the farm and barn driving refugees before them, including many of the spectators who must have thought that they only came to watch. The rebs, as Missouri irregulars, were waiting in town. As the federals advanced and attempted to take our flag planted in the street, a furious firefight developed. We had the numbers, but they the discipline and a canon, and so we melted away and that was the fight. A cute little pre-teen federal solider, fully uniformed, scoped out the town prior to the 8th’s entry each day.

After the Saturday battle, Mr. Rader presented us a shell jacket for the 9th Uniform Bank, and also $200 cash money left over from the old days. We will put that cash to good use, and the shell is the first item going into the Bank.

In addition, a reporter from the Wichita Eagle also dropped by and spoke to Messrs. Hainstock and Downey, and your humble correspondent, and an article with quotes ran the next day. Faithful reader, you can find that article, and some reader comments, at But no pictures.

Saturday night was upon us and several of us went into  Wichita searching for beef, and found it at Player’s. Your humble correspondent posed a toast to all his pards who attended the event, and we stuffed ourselves. We returned to camp to find the poker game in full play in the saloon. I joined Col. Amend, and Messrs. Albert, Ralph, and Bartlett for some cards, 9th Texas style. My luck improved measurably from the previous night.

No mischief through the night. I note that, upon the morning, I noticed a strange orange, rounded tent had mushroomed in the federal camp.

We got our breakfast and had more drill, joined again by our brothers in the 2nd. At one point, we pulled up in a battle line behind the Yanks who had formed up sans arms. I quietly told the men I was about to give an order which I wanted them to disregard. I then turned and loudly gave the command to “Load!” A few surprised blue faces turned our way to see what were we doing!

The Sunday battle scenario had the same general theme, but this time, we secreted Elliott’s Scouts in a position to fall in flank and rear as the federals came into town to take the flag. That ploy worked perfectly as the Yanks had no chance and were massacred where they stood. Those surrendering, and the wounded were shot down a la Centralia. The Civil War in the Kansas/Missouri theatre was a merciless affair and that was what we attempted to recreate.

We were somewhat erratic in awarding Homie in 2009, however, we carefully sifted the potential Cowtown candidates and the award was made to Col. Amend who came into camp Saturday afternoon late and presented a too-inviting target to not get a roll in the dirt in his spotless jean wool, compliments of Messrs. Albert and Shively.

Permit me to note that Mr. Piotevn is progressing well on his impression, purchasing a new battleshirt and also a bright red cravat. VJ Gianalonie also joined us for the fighting with a rifle and I hope he enjoyed the experience.

As noted, Wayne Turner, former 1st Sgt. of the 9th, and  a colorful character, also dropped by in civilian attire, caught up with the lads, and watched the Sunday battle. He also brought a whole carload of gear and clothing he is interested in selling. Some deals were struck, and he will have a listing of items still for sale which I will get out to all of the 9th by one means or another.

There is an excellent, if too short, video of the event done by one of the Cowtown staff, Greg Hunt, and you can find it at

Of note -- the event staff has suggested approximately the same weekend for Cowtown 2011, billed as an “immersion” event, although I do not know if that is for the general public or the reenactors.

I have also included at the tail end of this AAR a short note from Sheri Gaskins, volunteer coordinator for Cowtown, who did a wonderful job and tenders her thanks to us for participating.


Brian Cox
Captain, Commanding
9th Texas Reg’t of Infantry
1st Mo. Battalion


General Order № 11.
Headquarters District of the Border,
Kansas City, August 25, 1863.
1. All persons living in Jackson, Cass, and Bates counties, Missouri, and in that part of Vernon included in this district, except those living within one mile of the limits of Independence, Hickman's Mills, Pleasant Hill, and Harrisonville, and except those in that part of Kaw Township, Jackson County, north of Brush Creek and west of Big Blue, are hereby ordered to remove from their present places of residence within fifteen days from the date hereof.

Those who within that time establish their loyalty to the satisfaction of the commanding officer of the military station near their present place of residence will receive from him a certificate stating the fact of their loyalty, and the names of the witnesses by whom it can be shown. All who receive such certificates will be permitted to remove to any military station in this district, or to any part of the State of Kansas, except the counties of the eastern border of the State. All others shall remove out of the district. Officers commanding companies and detachments serving in the counties named will see that this paragraph is promptly obeyed.

2. All grain and hay in the field or under shelter, in the district from which inhabitants are required to remove, within reach of military stations after the 9th day of September next, will be taken to such stations and turned over to the proper officers there and report of the amount so turned over made to district headquarters, specifying the names of all loyal owners and amount of such product taken from them. All grain and hay found in such district after the 9th day of September next, not convenient to such stations, will be destroyed.

3. The provisions of General Order No. 10 from these headquarters will be at once vigorously executed by officers commanding in the parts of the district and at the station not subject to the operations of paragraph 1 of this order, and especially the towns of Independence, Westport and Kansas City.

4. Paragraph 3, General Order No. 10 is revoked as to all who have borne arms against the Government in the district since the 20th day of August, 1863.
By order of Brigadier General Ewing.
H. Hannahs, Adjt.-Gen'l.
Thank you all for the amazing event that we had here at Cowtown!  You were all so wonderful, and we have had nothing but good response to the weekend.
One of our regular volunteers was out there taking photographs of the weekend, and will have them up on  his website for viewing and downloading, by May 1st.  We know it isn’t much, by way of thanks, but it is just a little sign of our immense gratitude.  We hope that you will all be back next year, when we are looking a t larger, immersion event.
Greg Hunt, my co-coordinator (or is that conspirator) for the event, was able to put some video together of the weekend, and it is on YouTube.  If you look for Whacksmith (his YouTube name) and type in CivilWar Nation, you should find it.
If you did not see the CNN piece, it is in the video section of the CNN website under Oz Winery.
Thank you again for all that you did to help us make the weekend such a resounding success.  By the way, we had a total of 703 visitors, up over 200 from last year’s Civil War event.
Take Care, come back and see us again.
PS:  We appreciated you waiting to bring cars onto the grounds until we were closed.  We know it was hard to do, but we want the visitors to have as much of the “real thing” as possible.


I wouldn't want to do this fulltime!

The 9th put in a presence at the RK gun show at the Kansas Coliseum, north of Wichita KS, the weekend of April. 23-24, 2010. My thanks to Col. Amend, Sgt. Bell, and Pvt. Hainstock for taking the time to attend and support the 9th. Thanks also to the folks at RK who were kind enough to "comp" us the table and let us in for free as "exhibitors."
We had an 8' table on which we set out some gear, a book of 9th photos from past campaigns, and some recruiting materials. Then, it is just a question of talking to the folks who happen by and see if you can stir some interest. It is something of a tough job as you really need to be constantly "on." I count the effort worth it, however, as we talking to one young man who sounds very interested and I hope to see him at Holden as a new recruit.


Brian Cox
Captain, commanding
9th Texas Reg't of Infantry
1st MO. Battalion




Men of the 9th -

All of you surely know of the execrable “Order No. 11,” recently issued by that infamous scoundrel Gen. Thomas Ewing, a scurrilous directive operating with onerous effect - against civilians  - which will live in infamy in the annals of warfare. All those families living in certain counties on the northwestern border of our fair Missouri have been directed to leave their homes immediately. You can rest assured that, left undefended, those homes will be looted and burned thereafter, and this area laid desolate. I might note that sundry Jayhawkers as well as the 8th Kansas are rumored to be in the area to carry out this infamous edict.

As such, Gen. Price has directed you gallant soldiers of the 9th Texas to assemble on Friday, April 16, and no later than the morning of the 17th, to repel those Northern aggressors who would enforce that Order and turn out your families from their homes. I trust that each of you will do his duty.

Your obedient servant,

Brian Cox
Captain, commanding
9th Texas Reg’t of Infantry
1st Mo. Battalion

P.S. The uniform of the day will be MSG civilian/reb. Bring all the pistols and any civilian armaments you have. Some supplies will be provided, however, each you must bring sufficient rations for the campaign.


July 23-25, 2010, Missouri Valley Arms Collectors Ass'n Gun Show, Kansas City MO - I have reserved a recruiting table for the 9th Texas at this gun show which will be held at the Expo Center near the Kansas City International Airport north of KC MO. I have received commitments from several in the 9th to help man the tables but all are welcome to attend and help us recruit. I will post further details as we get closer to the event.


After Action Report - Spring Muster March 19-20, 2010

As it turned out, the “Spring” muster was a little of a misnomer as Mother Nature yet proved that she holds sway over mortal man, and the event was called at around noon on Saturday by Col. Amend in anticipation of worsening weather conditions. And so we broke camp and fought the roads and worked our way home (see some of the stories on Facebook under my name).

Present for duty for the 9th were First Sgt. Brian Shively, Pvt’s Ralph, Gianelloni (Mark and VJ), Staab, and your humble correspondent. Work, weather, and other mishaps kept others away. Other units also suffered poor attendance, and some were not in attendance at all.

The site was a Missouri State historical site, the Nathan Boone home, and was an easy if not necessarily short trip by the Texas boys from Kansas. Mr. Staab and I had a pleasant four hour drive from Topeka with no moisture in sight, and temperatures in the mid-60’s.

We set up camp along pre-marked company streets, made our fire, and renewed acquaintance with the rest of the boys from the Battalion. The site has much deadfall for firewood, a source of water, apparently indoors restrooms; however, we had to pay for straw, a necessary item given the rains to come, and there were no other amenities. There was room for drill and battle, although as events would turn out, it really was a moot point. I do extend my thanks to the Missouri Department of Natural Resources (did I get that right?) for permitting us the use of the land.

We had some lively discussions, political and otherwise, and some libations around the 9th’s campfire, and the boys gradually dropped off, one by one, the temperatures becoming increasingly cooler.

The poor weather reports proved correct and sometime in the early am, the rain began to fall, and not let up, although losing steam, and gaining steam at times as the morning progressed. I think that none in the 9th really suffered from the rain, although Mr. Ralph said he had some leaks.

Some brief company drill was had on Saturday morning by some of the companies but none battalion-wide. Of note ,the indefatigable Capt. Keith endeavored to prove that the brisk weather was nothing to fear as he doffed his jacket and shirt, and drilled in pants, hat, and suspenders. Quite a sight. Temperature was hovering around mid-30’s I would guess at this point.

Eventually, after a short officer’s meeting at around noon, Col. Amend took a poll of the men, and with the weather, there was nothing of profit that we could still do, and given that the weather was possibly worsening, made the call to cancel the event. By this point, the precipitation began to change to sleet and the water on the trees began to freeze.

So, our “Spring” Muster begins the 2010 season on a most inauspicious note.

On a brighter note, we had some brief discussions about upcoming events. The lads from the 2nd MO are really pushing their Houston MO event on October. We will be federal at the Twin Rivers event in November in Tennessee (guys, check your federal impression). I talked up the Cowtown event next month. Events on next year’s calendar, which should prove busy including Wilson’s Creek in August, Lexington, and Carthage.

The weather and short duration of the event notwithstanding, it was good to see our brothers in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th MO, and staff. And congratulations and best wishes to new Captains Steve Montgomery of the 1st and Chris Shuster of the 3rd.

Looking forward to an enjoyable season in 2010, I remain

Your obedient servant,

Brian Cox
Captain, commanding
9th Texas Reg’t of Infantry
1st Mo. Battalion


9th Texas Regiment of Infantry
Regimental Meeting, Feb.. 20, 2010 - minutes

The 9th Texas held its annual planning meeting Feb. 20, 2010, at the Museum of the National Guard in Topeka. I count it a successful effort as nine (9) men plus one new recruit made the trip on a cold, snowy afternoon......  ( READ ON AT CAPTAINS CORNER)

                      2010 Campaign opens with Spring Muster!

Guys, here is the first chance to knock of the rust and see the rest of your pards. The 1st Mo. Battalion Muster will be held the weekend of March 19-21, 2010, at the Nathan Boone state park just North of Springfield MO. Although Col. Amend has promised drill, drill, drill, you can bet there will be some fun as well, especially because the 9th will be in attendance. Please contact me and let me know that you can attend, and whether I can assist on transportation or otherwise.

Your obedient servant,
Brian Cox
Captain, commanding
9th Texas Reg't of Infantry
1st MO. Battalion